There are many different kinds of drill rigs for sale in the country. Drilling rigs are basically used as protective structures, and their main purpose is to house important drilling equipment and tools including the derrick, cables, and drill bits. They are essential materials used in the extraction of raw petroleum from underneath the surface of the earth.
If you will go down to the basics, offshore oil rigs come in several different types. They are designed to work in various locations, different environments, and certain kinds of wells.
- As a highly mobile drilling structure that comes with bottom supports, Jackups are equipped with open-truss or columnar legs. The purpose of this is to provide structural support to the hull area or main deck.
- Unlike Jackups, platforms are not mobile and thus cannot be moved. One typical feature for platforms is that they are made from cement or steel, and they are highly useful in drilling for new development wells.
- The floaters, or sometimes referred to as the semisubmersibles can stay afloat using giant pontoons. Sometimes they are made from hollow columns, instead. They can submerge to a desirable depth when filled with water. A floater type of drill rig is highly reliable in rough seas and most of the time they are being used to drill new wells.
There are several primary systems from which the vast majority of drilling rigs rely on to get the job done:
- A hoisting system. Most of the time, they’d refer to this as drawworks or derrick.
- A drive group consisting of chains, motors, and compounds.
- A circulating system of kelly, return lines, drill string, pumps, and pits.
- Well, control equipment.
There are various reasons why we need to drill a well. If our purpose for drilling a new well is to find a new reservoir, we call it an exploratory well. We also have development wells, which is most applicable in proven oil fields. Their main purpose in the area is to maximize the production of oil coming from that field.
The most common and widely used drilling technique we have nowadays is the rotary type of drilling. The working principle behind this method is to force the drill bit down towards the earth, whereby in the process it will make a hole or a wellbore. A drill stem is attached and will rotate the drill bit, and is also providing a passageway where the drilling fluid is circulated. Drilling fluid is mud.
Below are some important information concerning wells and how they get drilled. So much so that it is not always a “ straight down” action.
If you will hear of a well that will be drilled the conventional way, it only means to say that the well is going to be drilled vertically, straight down to the oil itself.
When it comes to traditional drilling, one can’t expect that the process will always yield the best results. Usually, the driller tends to go down vertically, and then go for a horizontal sharp turn.
For this to work, the use of special drill bits is necessary.
With the kind of technology and equipment we have these days, together with the available drill rigs for sale in the country, all these together help to bring us a step closer to a very precise directional drilling.